miércoles, 20 de marzo de 2013

Goodbye Blue Sky. Chao Cielo Azul

Today I completed 99.99% of the sky. It was tough, but now it's done. Thinking about it, I've advanced quite a lot in the last two days. I want to finish the animals now. It should be quick. As you can imagine it's getting easier day by day as there are fewer and fewer pieces to go nuts about. The spectrum narrows down. Now, looking back, I can't believe all those pieces that now reveal a clear picture were once just chaos and confusion scattered all around. Like life, at the end you get to put the pieces together and make sense out of the mess we sometimes find ourselves in. Yeah, I know, I'm gettin' philosophical, but hell, it's a fuckin' 24000 piece puzzle, who wouldn't get philosophical about it. I mean, I thought I was nuts for even giving this a shot. What the hell have I gotten myself in, I remember saying to myself as I started sorting the 6000 pieces of the first bag. That was on January 3th. I still remember the day. But it all comes to life now, the pieces finally revealing themselves. 

Hoy día completé el 99.99% del cielo. Fue difícil, pero ya está hecho. Ahora que lo pienso, he avanzado bastante en estos dos últimos días. Ahora quiero terminar los animales. Debiera ser rápido aquello. Y como podrán imaginarse se está poniendo más fácil día tras día al ir quedando cada vez menos piezas con las cuales volverse loco. Todo el espectro se achica. Ahora, mirando hacia atrás, no puedo creer que todas esas piezas que ahora revelan un dibujo claro y nítido fueron alguna vez sólo caos y confusión salpicados por todas partes. Al igual que la vida, al final terminas poniendo las piezas donde corresponden y lograr dar sentido a todo el desorden en el cual a veces nos encontramos metidos. Sí, ya lo sé, me estoy poniendo filosófico, pero diablos, es un maldito rompecabezas de 24000 piezas. ¿Quién cresta no se pondría filosófico acerca de él? O sea, yo pensé que estaba loco por siquiera intentar hacer este puzzle. ¿En que cresta me he metido? recuerdo haberme dicho a mi mismo mientras comenzaba a ordenar las 6000 piezas de la primera bolsa. Eso fue el 3 de enero. Aún recuerdo el día. Pero todo cobra vida ahora, las piezas finalmente revelándose.            




 No more sky pieces to fit. No más piezas del cielo que calzar.


A nice detail. Un bonito detalle.


That's what the puzzle looks like in my living room. Así se ve el rompecabezas en mi living. 

Goodbye Blue Sky, like the Pink Floyd song. I don't have to deal with you anymore. Adiós Cielo Azul, como la canción de Pink Floyd. Ya no tengo que lidiar contigo.








6 comentarios:

  1. Isn't it a great feeling when you get one major thing accomplished....like the sky or the balloons? I felt so great when I finally had finished 2/3rds of the puzzle and just had the stuff under the waterline left to do. It felt like a huge sense of accomplishment.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I was just re-reading this last post, and I had to comment on one other remark you made because it sounds just like me. You said, "I can't believe all those pieces that now reveal a clear picture were once just chaos and confusion scattered all around." This was exactly how I felt when I started. I couldn't tell half the time whether I was sorting a colorful piece of clownfish, or if it actually belonged in the hot air balloons somewhere. It wasn't always easy to tell. And certainly even when I was doing the animals, there were a lot of dark pieces that I was like, okay...does this go to the panda bear, or is it part of the lion or bird, etc? LOL It took until I was about halfway through the entire first section that I really started to get good with looking at a piece and having a fairly good idea where it went. Maybe not the EXACT spot, but certainly pretty close. It's amazing how much more you can pick out on a piece (texture, coloring, etc.) when you've been working with all the pieces for a long time. I think, that even when starting over from scratch with Section 2, I will be able to work it a little faster than Section 1 because I will be more familiar with the overall picture and what types of subtle texture and coloring changes would indicate that the piece was a part of a balloon or a clownfish, etc.

    How do you plan on doing Section 2? Are you going to glue or contact paper Section 1 and then remove it from your board so you can begin Section 2? I'm still debating on that one myself. I've seen several people that built their's one section on top of the other. And while that has some value in knowing exactly what shaped piece you're looking for, I can't imagine it being very easy on the eyes. So, I'm probably going to give a quick attempt to do it that way since it would help, but I have a feeling I will end up moving Section 1 off and starting over with a "clean slate".

    Okay, I will shut up now and get back to work! LOL

    Penny

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Couldn't agree more on what you said. I thought exactly the same. How will I tackle bag 2? Well, first, I gotta figure out which one it is! I stumbled upon the first bag (going from left to right) by mere chance. Will I work on top of the finished piece? No, the colors below would make all too confusing and if the pieces are shaped as the ones below I would consider it like cheating. I won't glue it either, not yet, at least not the whole piece. What I'll do when finished with the first bag is to divide the whole thing into 1000 piece sections, or maybe 2000, then glue the sections and top them one on top of the other and store them away until I finish the puzzle and then and only then glue all the pieces together. My apartment is not big so I just can't store the whole 6000 section.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Good Morning...or may be it's afternoon / evening there...LOL I just had to come on here and tell you about something really interesting I discovered yesterday. If you have read my most recent blog entry, you will know that I believe I have lost my first piece. It's a solid orange piece going into the tail fin of one of the orange clownfish. So, when I saw that you had posted some really great and up close pictures on your clownfish, I thought....oh cool, I will look at yours and see if maybe I have some of the pieces in the wrong spots and that's why I can't seem to find this one last missing piece....great idea, right? LOL

    Well, it would have been IF your puzzle was cut the same as mine...amazingly enough, it's not! I was really surprised to see that even though the picture is the same, the pieces are cut slightly differently than mine! Really weird, huh? So, unfortunately it didn't help me a bit to figure out if I had something in the wrong place, but it sure was interesting to see that each puzzle is cut in slightly different places.

    Okay, just thought I would share. I'm going to create a post on my blog now talking about this same thing...I found it really surprising.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Down to about 100 pieces, or maybe even a little less!

    ResponderEliminar